10 Relationship Rules You Must Follow For A Happier Love Life
Relationships are always a work of art in progress. There is never a dull moment and if you are serious about your relationship, every moment is precious. There are things you can choose to do every day that can deepen your love, increase your trust, enhance your friendship, and keep that spark alive.
Even if you have found the love of your life, that doesn’t give carte blanche to do nothing for the rest of your life to make the relationship better. While it may be great as it is, there are still some rules that, if you follow, will result in a happier love life. This is true even if you are in a relationship that is floundering at the moment. Here are 10 such rules that will guarantee that the love of your life remains in love with you (and vice versa) for the rest of your life!
- Listen with attention. Do not judge. Be fully present, in the moment, without any distractions of your phone, the TV, the newspaper, etc., when your partner is talking to you. If your partner just wants to be heard, then learn to listen without jumping in to offer advice. Learn to tell the difference.
- State your needs respectfully and openly. Do not expect your partner to read your mind. This only gives rise to expectations which will disappoint you when they are not met. Instead, ask for what you need without hesitation.
- Be loyal and faithful no matter what the temptation may be.
- Be there for your partner through all ups and downs in life. Don’t be there only to celebrate. If your boat is going down, offer to row with him/her!
- Never let arguments simmer onto the next day. Try to resolve, communicate and bring arguments to a peaceful end as soon as possible.
- Appreciate each other and complement each other every single day. Make it a point to voice your appreciation of even the little things they do for you. Often you think you will say it later and then forget. So just say it as and when it comes up in your mind.
- Keep yourself healthy and looking fit and attractive for each other. Investing a little time in your dressing and grooming, just for each other, says volumes about how you value each other.
- Celebrate the milestones in your journey together. Not just birthdays or anniversaries, but other days too that mean the world to you.
- Keep a playful attitude in your relationship. Even if you are bogged down by responsibilities, bills, children, work, family, etc., you can still take time to enjoy a walk around the park, a date once a week, etc.
- Be generous and spontaneous with your physical affections. Hugs, holding hands, a squeeze on the shoulder, a cuddle, are all appreciated no matter what the time of day or night!